29 March 2012

Business time!

So as part of breaking free I co-founded a company with a friend of mine.

it360
THE OFFICIAL LOGO!!!
SHAMELESS PLUG! http://it360.bg/

If you are going to start a business for the first time I suggest you don't go at it alone. If you have worked for yourself before maybe you can get away with being a one man/woman or undefined show. I had never worked alone before so I wouldn't have started at all without the support from my friend. The other thing is that the said friend turns out to be quite a go getter and has some business contacts I didn't know about, so score! And when I say friend I don't mean that necessarily it is someone you grew up with, it is enough just to have reasonable trust in your business partner and aligned views on how to move ahead. Another thing is that you shouldn't go for someone just like you, some differences among people can be beneficial to an organization as they broaden the view of THE HIVEMIND!!!

Another lesson you can learn pretty quickly is to invest. And when I say invest I mean outsource accounting. And that is pretty easy to do if you are an IT professional you surely have a client that is an accountant so you can arrange some sort of shady tit for tat deal. And if you aren't an IT professional maybe you are an accountant yourself in which case you do the same thing. Imagine if you are just now figuring out how to be productive and prosperous and you also have to learn accounting, you are pushing yourself. And when I say invest I most definitely don't mean the latest iOS device ( I hate those ), I know they are shiny but you probably don't need it. Plus, that money should go to hosting and SEO (search engine optimization ) if you haven't already taken care of that.

AWESOME!!!
interactive art
Another tip I can give to people thinking of following the path of self employment is don't have expectations. If life serves you lemons, order tequila and call me! What I mean is that we basically offer tech support and our first serious customer was an interactive art marketing agency needing consulting for this project. Don't run from weird stuff, the strange and unknown can be much more fun than the beaten path!

Maybe I should tell you about the project in detail in a separate blog post.

That is it for today. Class, dismissed.