07 April 2012

Free Fallout Linux GO NOW

UPDATE: As of Apr. 9 2012 Fallout is no longer free. If you missed it, boohoo!

IF YOU ARE HERE FOR THE LINUX STUFF YOU CAN SKIP THE COMMENTARY

Today started like any other day. Woke up, made a cup of coffee, took the tablet and locked myself in the bathroom as any other morning. Forty minutes later I realized that today was going to be a journey into the non-awesome zone. Neither the socials nor the feeds brought me anything that would make me want to leave the bathroom. So I decided to plead to the community to send me something that would help with the awesome-deprivation I was suffering from
"Марио Кукуцов  -  9:49 AM  -  Mobile  -  Public
I need my awesome in the morning! Somebody send me something awesome!".

So I left for job hoping somebody will answer my plea. Alas, no awesome! The day continued as any other day until my brother turned to me and said "Good Old Games are giving Fallout for free!". Oh my god! Good Old Games send me the motherload of awesome, http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fallout ! Fallout legally FREE, PLAY NOW!!!

I think that the gaming industry should take notes here. First, the second law of thermodynamics clearly states that people are attracted to free stuff. As is shown by the success of free things everywhere. Free games are more successful than the paid ones. Granted, good ones are objectively better and sometimes paying through the nose is well worth it to play them. Take Lineage2 for example, so good that the servers were full despite the crazy high prize ( it's free now so go try it http://www.lineage2.com/ ). I posted a photo of my favorite games in an earlier post, four PlayStation games three of them platinum so half prize. Why should I pay full prize for something so good that it is guaranteed to go platinum ( as in the PlayStation promo platinum ). Another thing from SONY is the PSN Plus thing where you pay a flat tax for the year and you get surprised with three free titles every month. If you do the math it's like 30 pieces of silver divided by 12x3 equals free! So low prices make an easy sell. Question is if something is free than how is it funded? We were talking about Fallout so lets get back to it, it was made sometime in the early 1920 ( nobody knows exactly ) so development costs and profit are no longer an issue. But it is so good that people would actually pay for it, not much admittedly. But there is Fallout 2 on gog.com for very cheap. I played the free one for 15 min. and decided my summer vacation will be 2 weeks of unadulterated Fallout and Fallout 2. So the free Fallout is a marketing trick to land some cash from the paid one. You sneaky ...

END OF COMMENTARY

Now, I am a Linux fan boy, in case I didn't say that already! Fallout is a Windows game, so what am I so excited about? Wine ( wine is not an emulator ( not sure, don't quote me on that )) is a sort of windows emulator that allows you to run windows software ( but it isn't an emulator, it's this weird binary compatible set of libraries )! It took me no time to get Fallout to run on Linux with it. But, there were issues that required some tweaking. When it comes to games in wine you sometimes have to setup some special settings that are game specific, if you have several games the settings required to run one can brake the others. To avoid that problem I use PlayOnLinux which works as an alternative front end for wine and allows you to make virtual drives as in separate wine deployments that each have their own settings. When I was at job I used the playonlinux from the repo and had a screen resolution issue that prevented the game from starting at all. I resolved it by making wine emulate a virtual desktop, forcing me to play in a window. At home I used the newest version from the playonlinux website and had no issues, fullscreen fullawesome. I can't tell if the problem is in the versions but I doubt it since I have a dual monitor setup at job which is far more likely to have caused the problem. But I always recommend trying the newest version from the developers website and using the one in the repo only when you have issues. Fallout is one of those games that require so little resources that you can get away with playing in a virtual machine without worrying that the overhead of the virtual OS will lead to degraded performance. I haven't tried this because I'm not interested in running Windows even virtually. I suspect that there will be hardware ( virtual hardware ) issues like unsupported graphics adapter or something else like that that can impede the game from running. If you try Fallout in a virtual machine tell me how it went.