18 February 2013

Finally Fedora 18

Oh, my heart is so broken. Fedora broke my heart. Before I jumped into the Linux world I was only exposed to it because it was chosen by the network administrators to serve as everything needed for Internet service providing. We were an Internet service provider, and we had a Linux based boarder gateway and network routers and a billing system. And everything was Fedora. Then I decided that I wanted to learn PHP. And I tried XAMPP on windows, but it somehow didn't fit. I tried XAMPP on Fedora in VirtualBox on WindowsXP. It was then that I got hooked on Linux.



Soon after I was running Fedora 13 at work and 14 at home. It was the first Linux distro I ever used so naturally there is a special spot in my heart reserved for it.

Unfortunately it sort of lost it's appeal when Gnome 3 arrived. Or at least that's what people said, I wasn't there because I had already switched to Linux Mint. Today I had a run in with Fedora 18. The task was simple. An under-powered netbook running Windows7 was too under-powered for Windows7. The netbook manufacturers don't believe in choice so they don't supply WindowsXP drivers. And just out of curiosity, how exactly am I supposed to install a legit WindowsXP on a system if they don't sell the bloody thing. So after some brainstorming I decide that this system would be best suited for Fedora, and I was wrong. Or maybe I was just wrong when I decided to install the standard gnome-shell-fedora, but more on that later. Fedora has changed a lot since the last time I was here, but the retarded stuff is still the same. Fedora is sort of a technology proving ground for RHEL, if you are a red hat guy then you are going to keep an eye on it. And a red-hat guy would be comfortable with SELinux, but our netbook doesn't need SELinux. I would guess that nobody believes that it is an enterprise OS, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for CentOS, and even if you are taking workstations into consideration their install base is much smaller that the desktop so leaving SELinux off by default would give you at least better press(if nothing else). A non-pro user's interaction with SELinux is mainly through the troubleshooter, and this illustrates my point perfectly. Your computer is just notifying you that SELinux is at it again. The troubleshooter comes up informing you that this thing is making trouble again, we have a new feature that breaks all other features and then it just sneers at you pointing a finger and sticking its tongue out. Everybody turns it off as soon as the system loads for the first time. The netbook worked with windows until we decided to install counterpath's x-lite softphone software. So when we switched to Linux we installed Linphone, and all was good. But man can't live on softphone alone. Firefox doesn't like flash, but when it tries to automatically get the plugin it always fails. And it has been this way forever. I tried the yum package from the adobe website and it doesn't work. I don't care why and it can go to hell, I installed chrome. And why isn't chromium in the default repo. VLC comes from fusion rpm. Oh, and by the way. The default video player has also never worked, it says you need gstreamer and then tells you you can't have it. I'm using opensuse 12.2 with the gnome 3 desktop, and it is awesome. Gnome 3 on Fedora sucks, the are trying to make it more android like than it needs to be. If the desktop locks up you usually move or press something and then enter your password. But now you have to click with the mouse and drag. How does that work with a touch pad? Very badly. Then again it isn't as bad as the windows not having the X in the corner. One last question. How is it that Linux doesn't run faster than windows??? How is Linux not faster than windows???