11 July 2013

StalemateStudio

So. Hi...

I have not been blogging because we were hard at work. We is game Developers, YAY. Step one was to figure out a name for the company. OMG, there are just no good free names out there, everything awesome you google is taken. So the battle we led with the internet for some namespace reached a stalemate, so there.
We is StalemateStudio, YAY. When one is developer, one needs to make games, so we were wondering what game to make, and how to make it. You maybe know about project Konflict, but that was a bit ambitious on our part so we left it and started working on another game. And the other game was supposed to be simple. At that time we were working on producing a game with the blender game engine, and it just doesn't work. It is a nice piece of tech, but I can't see producing something with it. I wasted several days trying to figure out why my characters were randomly falling through the floor. So we switched to Unity. As much as I hate Unity (NO NATIVE LINUX VERSION), It's just a better game engine and games development tool. We still use blender for the mesh modeling, UV (textures), rigging and animation. In order to evaluate Unity I decided to make a game.
A simple game. Just you and a bunch of walls. And the initial prototype was done in like 40 min. And most of that was just blender, making the level. While I was playing around testing Unity and learning the scripting, they announced free mobile deployment. So I was like "SOLD!"! This saturday, I hope I will be able to release the android version.

Lets talk about releasing. I am big on Linux so no wonder I like Desura more than I like Steam. Desura is the original indie content distribution system. So I am trying to get my desktop versions available on Desura (exclusively). They do have quality control so you can't publish just whatever crap you want. And I'm OK with that. I don't want my awesome game to be thrown in a pile of assorted garbage. They do however let you publish a profile on indieDB and slideDB (ModDB, but I didn't make a mod). To get the name around. So if you would like to support our valiant efforts, here are links.

Maze-Demo Maze-Demo Maze-Demo Maze-Demo

So, nothing else to report now.